TA-55 Plutonium Gloved Enclosure Seal Replacement
- Los Alamos Lab, TA-55 Plutonium gloved enclosures with leaking window and interconnecting spool gaskets.
- Previous repair attempts resulted in release of plutonium and evacuation/cleanup. Defense nuclear safety board calls hearings on incidents.
- Personnel not properly trained, improper usage of containments and air flow controls.
- RPS goes on-site with a radiological engineer to evaluate and resolve problems with PU gloved enclosure maintenance operations.
- Review PU gloved enclosure configurations for design of special radiological containments.
- Proposed modifications to gloved enclosures to accommodate special containments.
- Designed and manufactured 14 unique containments for gasket replacement.
- Wrote procedures incorporating containments into TA-55 maintenance program.
- Mockup trained TA-55 technicians in proper installation, operation, and removal of containments.
- Supervised first real plutonium gloved enclosure repair using new containments.
- Successfully replaced leaking gaskets on 6 gloved enclosures.
- TA-55 incorporates containment usage as standard maintenance procedure.