Refueling Water Storage Tank Re-coat Project
- Increase worker safety: Develop an air treatment system (including air conditioning) to reduce the level of personnel heat stress.
- In addition to the tank entry hazards, the system had to control temperature and humidity as well as contain high levels of alpha loose-surface contamination.
- Primary design objectives had to support hydro lasing, grit blasting, cleanup, and re-coating.
- Containment of process-generated contaminants: The HEPA system had to provide sufficient flow to maintain capture velocity for containment of radiological contaminants at the tank entry/egress points.
- Humidity Controls: Dehumidification was required to prevent surface oxidation (flash rust) during the coating-removal process.
- RPS designed and manufactured a 6,000 cfm HEPA ventilation skid that was integrated with a 35 ton air conditioning system and compatible dehumidification unit with interconnecting ducting, dampers, and fittings.
- This RPS-designed system performed at or above the design parameters in every respect and led to the successful completion of the RWST re-coating project.
- Alpha contamination was controlled and there were no contamination releases or personnel-contamination events.