- Examine Transuranic (TRU) waste contained in 55 gallon drums. Open, inspect, sort, and repack waste materials. Repacked drums to meet the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) Waste Acceptance Criteria (WAC). Operations with Contact Handled (CH) waste require primary and secondary contamination containment systems and negative air pressures for personnel and environmental protection.
- Task required a turn-key contract for design, manufacture, delivery, and start up the facility and systems within a 6 month period.
- Systems include a stainless steel, seismically qualified modular containment building, dual HEPA filtration systems, material isolation & sorting glove box with fire suppression system, material handling and repackaging equipment, electric power systems, instrumentation & control systems, and operator training.
- RPS, as primary contractor, managed a team of expert companies to participate in the design and manufacture of the containment system, electrical systems, glove box, and air filtration systems.
- Bechtel Nevada Corp., the NTS site operating contractor, provided the architectural engineering and site construction management services for facility installation and ensured DOE order compliance.
- Contract award, February 3, 1997. Customer turnover completed ahead of schedule on June 21, 1997 (138 calendar days).
- Project completed ahead of schedule, under budget, and exceeded the clients Site Acceptance Test and performance criteria.
READ: Establishment of a facility for intrusive characterization of transuranic waste at the Nevada Test Site.
Placeholder for video content