X-744G Waste Characterization Sorting Facility
- Drums of mixed radioactive process and waste materials required opening, characterization, and repackaging.
- Materials required a high level of isolation, containment, special handling, and special processing due to the nature of their constituents.
- RPS acted as the prime contractor for this turn-key containment and processing facility, and was the lead design agency for the containment, air, control, and safety systems.
- RPS lead a team of sub-contractors for engineering, erection, and acceptance testing of the facility and systems.
- Project facility and systems included:
- Modular panel containment (MPC) enclosure, 16’ wide x 20’ long x 12’ high, a secondary containment processing facility with monorail crane.
- Backdraft booth enclosure for work process area.
- Dual-mode backdraft hooded table (HWT) with glove port closure face for waste sorting, disposition, and repackaging.
- Fire suppression & control systems for both the MPC & back draft booth.
- MPC HEPA filtration unit, controls and duct systems.
- HWT HEPA/HEGA filtration and PID control systems.
- Material handling equipment and packaging tools for waste stream.