- RPS uses lead wool products in accordance with Federal Specification QQ-C-40 Type II Grade C.
- We compact this interlaced wool in a random orientation to ensure consistent attenuation without streaming.
- Where greater shielding is required, multiple blankets can be stacked to achieve a linear reduction in dose rate.
- All lead blankets are constructed by encapsulating the lead within an inner cover to contain the lead, and then a heavier outer cover for added protection and durability.
- Materials used for inner and outer covers can be vinyl-laminated nylon, urethane-laminated nylon, or silicon-impregnated fiberglass fabric (for high temperatures).
- The inner covers are sewn in a quilted pattern to prevent shifting of the lead wool when blankets are draped or hung.
- The materials used for inner covers are typically 10 oz. weight, with heat sealed seams or sewn seams as appropriate. Outer covers are made using heavier weight material (typically 18 oz.), with edge seams heat sealed or sewn as required.
- Perimeter grommets are installed on the outer cover border edge to facilitate job site placement or hanging from racks.
- Number 5 grommets (5/8” ID) at 12” spacing are standard, however grommet size, type and spacing can be as specified by your requirements.
- Standard colors for vinyl-laminate materials are yellow or white, with others available upon request, and the standard color for high temperature material is gray.